French architects and buildings

There are at least two typical French houses in New Orleans, the one known as "Madame John’s Legacy" (Rue du Maine, partially rebuilt after the fire of 1788) and Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop (Rue de Bourbon, now missing its veranda). Both survived the fires of 1788 and 1794, and both were built using the "brick between post" method. But the oldest and most remarkable building in New Orleans is the Ursuline convent. Even though their architectural heritage is reduced, French architects—most of them educated at the Beaux Arts in Paris—played a prominent role in New Orleans and Louisiana in the first half of the 19th century. Gilbert Guillemard designed the new cathedral in 1794—its predecessor, designed by Pauger, having been destroyed in the fire of 1788—as well as the two flanking buildings: the Cabildo (1799) and the Presbytery (1813). Other French architects helped made the Louisiana city famous. Hyacinthe Laclotte from Bordeaux designed the Girod house, planned to house the exiled Napoleon, in 1814, and worked for several years with Arsène Lacarrière-Latour, who was responsible for the urban planning of Baton Rouge (1806). In 1849, Jacques de Pouilly was entrusted with the complete reconstruction of the Saint Louis cathedral.